Google AdSense

Sunday, August 1, 2010

One big tip for changing the way you think.

I’ve become a believer in catchphrases. Each day, I re-read my Twelve Commandments, and I know that having these ideas fresh in my mind really does influence my behavior.

I also have catchphrases posted in strategic places around my house – “Enthusiastic and creative” is on my desk, “Quiet mind” is in the bedroom, etc.

Studies show that by keeping certain ideas active and accessible through review and repetition, you can shape the way you think.

I’ve been asking other people for the phrases they repeat to themselves for inspiration or reassurance. Some people get their catchphrases from Virginia Woolf or T. S. Eliot or the Bible; some people get them from popular culture; some people make up their own.

Here are some good ones I’ve heard:

There’s no wrong decision here.
Patience.
Always say hello.
Cut people slack.
What would my mother do?
Actually, this is good for us.
On, Stanley, on.
React to the situation.
Be easy to please.
Lighten up, Francis.
Fake it ‘till you make it.
One day at a time.
Expect a miracle.
At the still point of the turning world.
Will this matter next year?
Be still, and know that I am God.
Remember, everyone’s doing their best all the time.
Get a hold of yourself, Meredith!
Say yes.
People succeed in groups.
Recognize my ghosts.
Down with boredom.
I love Leo, just as he is.
Catch the rushing breeze.
Play the hand I’m dealt.
Do nothing, go nowhere.
If it doesn’t fit one way, then turn it around.
If things aren’t going to plan, it’s time to change the plan.
What would I do if I weren’t scared?

No comments:

Post a Comment